When a U.S. court approves an adoption for a child born in Oregon, the Oregon Vital Records office prepares a new birth record and the original birth record and the adoption documents are placed in a sealed file. Vital Record sealed files can only be opened through a court order from an Oregon Court even when the birth parents are known to the adoptee or the adoptive parents. Under Oregon law, when adoptees reach the age of 21 they may order their pre-adoption birth record. For more information about ordering pre-adoption birth records see our Preadoption Birth Records page.
To create a new birth record and issue a certificate after a court has approved and filed the adoption decree, we need the following:
- An original certified copy of an Adoption Report form showing the original seal and signature of the court official certifying the document. If an Adoption Report is not available, we must have an original certified copy of the Adoption Decree and an adoption fact sheet. The fact sheet provides information about the adoptive parents for the new birth record that may be missing in the adoption decree.
- A $50 fee. This fee includes an amendment fee of $30 and a $20 fee for a certified copy of the new birth record.
- A completed birth record order form. The order form should list the child's new adoptive name and adoptive parents' names. The Vital Records mailing address and payee information are available on this form.
Follow Up On Requests for Adoption Processing:
For children born in Oregon, including children born to gestational carriers, contact:
Debbie Draghia, 971-673-1152
When you call or email, please provide:
- The name of the child before and after adoption, date of birth and place of birth;
- The approximate date the court approved the adoption and/or the date you submitted the documents and the fees to our office;
- Whether you received any correspondence from our office or submitted any additional fees or documents in separate mailings.
For Adoption Agency Staff and Attorneys
When preparing an Adoption Report for submittal to a court in Oregon, please use Form 45-24. (Updated 01/2015)
Adoption Information Sheet: If you are submitting an original certified copy of a Adoption Judgment/Decree, please complete the Adoption Information Sheet Form 45-20 and submit with the court document.