The Oregon State Public Health Laboratory (OSPHL) performs virus isolation and PCR typing (to distinguish influenza A and B) and sub‐typing (for H1 and H3) for:
- ILINet Sentinel Providers;
- Hospitalized ILI cases within the Portland Tri-county area; and
- ILI cluster investigations.
To submit a specimen:
The submitter must complete Form 42 - Virology/Immunology Request Form.
- For specimens submitted by health care providers participating in Oregon’s Outpatient Influenza‐Like Illness Surveillance Network (ILINet):
Check "Virus Isolation" and write "ILINet" under "Other" on Form 42.
- For specimens from patients hospitalized with influenza-like illness in the Portland Tri-county area (patients who are residents of Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties):
Check "Virus Isolation" and write "Hospitalized" under "Other" on Form 42.
NOTE: We encourage submission of specimens even if rapid influenza tests are negative or have not been performed. However, results of this testing will not be available for 3 days; thus, clinical decision making about treatment or isolation precautions should not be based on these test results.
Visit CDC’s Emerging Infections Program for more information.
- For specimens collected as part of investigations into clusters of respiratory illness in collaboration with Acute and Communicable Disease Program (ACDP) epidemiologists:
Check "Virus Isolation" and write in the outbreak number assigned to the outbreak by ACDP in the "Outbreak number" box.
To report a cluster of respiratory illness, call 971-673-1111.
County Health Departments: Order ILI Go Kits (pdf)
See also: Submitting Specimens for ILI Outbreak Testing (pdf)
For specimens that don’t fall under one of these three categories, please contact OSPHL at 503-693-4100 and ask for “Virus Isolation.”
For more information or instructions on specimen submission: