Backflow Assembly Tester
- All backflow prevention assembly testing in Oregon must be performed by Oregon Health Authority (OHA)-certified Backflow Assembly Testers.
- Anyone interested in obtaining certification as a Tester must successfully complete an OHA-approved Backflow Assembly Tester course and apply for certification through OHA.
- Testers who provide testing services for a fee or compensation must obtain a license through either the Construction Contractor's Board or the Landscape Contractor's Board. See below for more information.
- OHA may issue Backflow Assembly Tester certification based on reciprocity for Testers with current certification in another state equivalent to OHA standards, qualifications, and other requirements.
Cross Connection Specialist
- All community water systems in Oregon serving 300 or more service connections are required to contract with or employ an OHA-certified Cross Connection Specialist to oversee their cross connection program.
- Anyone interested in obtaining certification as a Specialist must successfully complete a OHA-approved Cross Connection Specialist course and apply for certification through Oregon Drinking Water Services.
- Specialist's who provide their services for a fee or compensation may also be required to obtain a license through either the Construction Contractor's Board or Landscape Contractor's Board. See below for more information.
- OHA may issue Cross Connection Specialist certification based on reciprocity for Specialists with current certification in another state equivalent to OHA standards, qualifications, and other requirements.
Renewal of Specialist or Tester Certification
- All certifications expire June 30th of every odd numbered year.
- Note: Individual renewal applications are mailed to all currently certified Specialists and Testers in late April of odd numbered years. Applications are NOT available on-line. If you do not receive your renewal application by mid-May, please contact the Program Coordinator.
- Remember, it is your responsibility to provide current address and other contact information and to report any changes on your certification, such as change of employer or contractor's license numbers. Contact the Program Coordinator to make changes by mail, email, phone call, or fax.
- For more information, see Renewal Requirements (pdf).
Get More Information
- OHA-approved Training Courses:
- Backflow Management Inc. at 503-255-1619 in Portland or 800-841-7689 outside of Portland
- Clackamas Community College at 503-657-6958 ext. 2388
- Eugene Water & Electric Board at 541-984-4747
- IAPMO (Northglenn, CO) at 303-451-0978
- Local 290 (union plumbers only) at 503-691-1997
- Construction Contractor's Board:
- Landscape Contractor's Board: