On this page:
Drinking Water Services (DWS) is offering a one-day class entitled "Essentials of Surface Water Treatment"
that will cover topics including an introduction to various surface water treatment processes, disinfection practices, and regulatory requirements. Exercises will augment in-class instruction by covering how to develop a chemical feed pump calibration curve, determine adequate disinfection, and gain a better understanding of disinfection contact tracer studies. This course is designed for operators new to surface water treatment as well as experienced operators. This training will be offered 2-4 times per year in various locations around the state. The training is offered free of charge and participants are eligible to receive up to 0.6 CEU for attending.
Classes run from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (PST). Class dates and locations are listed in the table below.
Essentials of Surface Water Treatment Classes for 2015
|March 18, 2015
Douglas County Library Central Headquarters
Ford Community Room
1409 NE Diamond Lake Blvd.
Roseburg, OR 97470
|April 17, 2015
Cannon Beach City Council Chambers
163 E Gower St., City Hall
Cannon Beach, OR 97110
|September 10, 2015
Newport City Council Chambers
169 SW Coast Hwy
Newport, OR 97365
|October 9, 2015
Cherry Avenue Training Center
Mt Mazama Room 126
3414 Cherry Ave. NE, Suite 150
Keizer, OR 97303
Registration for the Essentials of Surface Water Treatment is handled by the DWS Portland office. To register, or for more information, contact Julie Wray at 971-673-0408 or email@example.com
, or complete and submit the Registration Form
. Class size is limited in some cases.
Upon completion of the class, attendees receive 0.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Materials used in the Essentials of Surface Water Treatment class are provided below.
- Agenda (pdf)
- Presentation Cover Pages:
- PowerPoint Slides (these files are large and may take a while to download):
- PowerPoint Slides Handouts (six slides per page):
- Exercise 1 - Tracer Studies:
- Exercise 2 - Proper Sampling Locations:
- Exercise 3 - Chemical Feed Pump Calibration Curve:
- Exercise 4 - Calculating Peak Hour Demand:
- Exercise 5 - Using EPA Tables to Calculate CT Requirements:
- Exercise 6 - Filling out Monthly Surface Water Reporting Forms:
- SW Essentials Class Evaluation Form (pdf)