On this page:
Slow Sand Filtration
Oregon Drinking Water Services is offering a one day class entitled "Slow Sand Filtration - A Timeless Technology"
that will cover topics including an introduction to the slow sand treatment process, optimized performance goals, and recommended practices. This class is designed for operators new to slow sand filtration as well as experienced operators.This training will be offered 1-2 times per year in various locations around the state. The training is offered free of charge and participants are eligible to receive up to 0.6 CEU for attending.
Classes run from 9 AM - 4:30 PM (PST). Class dates and locations are listed in the table below.
Slow Sand Filtration Schedule for 2014
|April 29, 2014
Springfield Utility Board (SUB)
223 A Street, Suite F
Springfield, OR 97477
|October 14, 2014
(A 1-hour plant tour
is offered with this class.)
Class size is limited to 15.
|Stayton (16 miles east of Salem)
City of Salem Geren Island
Slow Sand Filtration Plant
Stayton, OR 97303
Directions will be provided
upon registration confirmation
E-mail Julie Wray
if you do not receive
Registration for Slow Sand Filtration is handled by Drinking Water Services in the Portland office. To register, or for more information, contact Julie Wray at 971-673-0408 or firstname.lastname@example.org
, or submit the Registration Form
(PDF). Class size is limited.
Upon completion of the class, attendees receive 0.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Materials used in the Slow Sand Filtration class are provided below.
- Bellamy, W.D., Hendricks, D.W., and Logsdon, G.S. 1985b. Slow sand filtration: influences of selected process variables. J. Am. Water Works Assoc. 77(12) 62-66.
- Collins, M.R., Unger, M.C..2008. Assessing Escherichia coli removal in the schmutzdecke of slow-rate biofilters. J. Am. Water Works Assoc. 100(12): 60-73.
- Letterman, R.D., and Cullen, T.R., Jr. 1985. Slow sand filter maintenance: costs and effects on water quality. EPA/600/2-85-056.U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Logsdon, G.S., Kohne, R., Abel, S., LaBonde, S. 2002. Slow sand filtration for small water systems. J. Environ. Eng. Sci. Vol. 1. 339-348.
- Pyper, G.R. 1985. Slow sand filter and package treatment plant evaluation: operating costs and removal of bacteria, Giardia, and trihalomethanes. USEPA/600/2-85/052. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Slezak, L.A., Sims, R.C. 1984. The application and effectiveness of slow sand filtration in the United States. J. Am. Water Works Assoc. 76(12) 38-43.
Tanner, S.A., and Ongerth, J.E. 1990. Evaluation of slow sand filters in northern Idaho. J. Am. Water Works Assoc. 82(12): 51-61.
- Visscher, J.T. 1990. Slow sand filtration: design, operation, and maintenance. J. Am. Water Works Assoc 82(6): 67-71.