The basics course for small water system operators is now available online. To take this course online, you must first review the instructions below on how to complete the course and how to print your course certificate and the SWSO application.
Before you begin:
Instructions for the Online Basics Course
- Users are strongly advised to read these instructions completely.
- This course takes approximately 6 hours to complete with each unit taking approximately 2 hours.
- You will need a printer to print out your certificate of completion.
- This training is a multimedia presentation with sound and animated graphics.
- To access online training, click on the below link to take the "Basics for Small Water Systems in Oregon" course.
- Click on the New Account button and enter the requested information on the next screen. Be sure to type in your full first and last name in the User field as your name will be on the certificate. Please do not use initials or email addresses. Then click Submit.
- Click on the account name you just created and click the Login button.
- Once you have opened the course to the 1st screen, use the Next arrow at the bottom right-hand side of the screen to advance to the next screen.
- Complete each of the required units and each quiz. NOTE: To complete this 0.6 CEU course and obtain a course certificate, you must complete:
- Each of the three required course units (i.e. Units 1-Essentials, Unit 2-Sampling & Reporting, and Unit 3- Operations);
- End of Unit Quiz; and
- The final "Basics Quiz."
- OPTIONAL: Advanced Unit 4-Treatment (0.2 CEUs). This unit is not required for the small water system operator certificate.
- Tip #1: If you need to leave a unit prior to finishing the unit, you must click on the Exit button on the top right corner and then click the Save Exit button to save your work. When you are ready to proceed again, log back in (using the Existing Account button), and go to the Menu button at the bottom of the screen to select the section you were last working on. Under Menu, the sections you have already completed will be shown in color Green.
- Tip #2: If your user account and progress keep disappearing, your browser is probably deleting your flash cookies. Please follow the instructions on how to prevent this here: http://www.waterhelp.org/index.php/article/3828.
- Tip #3: As you proceed through each unit and complete the required activities, the bar along the top of the screen under the unit you are working in, will begin to shade Green in color. Once you have completed all activities in the unit, the bar under that unit should be completely Green. At this point, a box will appear that will allow you to complete the quiz for that unit.
- If instead you see a box that says "You must fully complete this unit before taking the unit quiz," this means you have missed a required activity in that unit. Use the Menu button to find which section is not shown in Green and click on it to go back to that section. Find the activity or screen that does not have a Green Check Mark located in the top left hand corner. No check mark means this activity has not been completed. Complete the section and then use the Next arrow at the bottom right hand side of the screen to advance to the unit quiz.
- You can also use the Back arrow located at the bottom left of the screen to go back through the unit and find the activity or screen that does not have a Green Check Mark located in the top left hand corner. Complete the activity and then use the Next arrow at the bottom right hand side of the screen to advance to the unit quiz.
- Once you have completed all three unit quizzes, and the final "Basics Quiz," click on the Log Book button at the bottom of the screen, and use the Print buttons to print out your Course Certificate and the Small Water System Operator (SWSO) application.
- PLEASE NOTE: You must use the same computer for all units and to print the certificate. Using a different computer will not let you choose the existing account with your login and password.
- Sign your training certificate and have the owner or legal representative complete and sign the SWSO Application.
- The operator may NOT sign the application unless they are also the owner of the system.
- Submit both documents (i.e. copy of signed certificate and SWSO application) to the Operator Certification Unit at the address listed at the bottom of the application form.
- Certified operators taking the course for CEUs do NOT need to print the SWSO application.
- Click HERE to start the online Small Water System training!
- NOTE: If you need help navigating through the screens, you can go to the Help button on the lower right side of the screen, or please contact the Operator Certification Unit at 971-673-0426, Monday - Thursday, 9 AM - 4 PM (PST).
- Please email the Operator Certification Unit (email@example.com) and let us know your thoughts about the new online SWS training course! Thank you!
Course Credit & Certification
Upon course completion, certified operators receive 0.6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). This class also meets the training requirements for Small Water System Operator Certification.