Approximately 23% of Oregonians rely on domestic wells, or private wells, as their primary source of potable water.
This makes groundwater protection and well stewardship of high public health importance. To protect both the lifelong health of Oregonians and the state’s groundwater resources, the Oregon Domestic Well Safety Program (DWSP) focuses on improving local and state capacity to assess and manage risks associated with private wells. DWSP partners with local health departments and water information providers to further promote domestic well safety.
- NEW resource for domestic well stakeholders! If you are interested in receiving and sharing
updates about private wells in Oregon and the DWSP, join our brand new mailing list!
- HOT HOT weather is sweeping across Oregon and Drought Declarations have been issued for some of Oregon's counties. To keep an eye on your county and how your private well may be affected, the Water Resources Department has made a Drought Watch resource available to you.
- Marist High School science students in Lane County are proud to provide, as a community
service, free testing for nitrate concentrations to any who wish to drop off
samples at the school! If you have a sample and would like testing, please
Yellowtail at email@example.com. Please note that Marist High School nitrate testing is for screening purposes
only and if certified results are necessary, further testing should be performed by a certified lab.
- Do you live in Benton County? Benton County's Environmental Health Domestic Well Safety Program was featured on KEZI News and you may be eligible for a FREE private well water quality test. There are a limited amount of free tests so contact Benton County Environmental Health today! Reduced cost testing is also available for Benton County residents.
- Harney County residents are eligible for reduced cost testing kits at just $70 to test for Arsenic, Bacteria, and Nitrates! This offer won't last long so contact the DWSP for more information or call the Harney County Health Department at 541-573-2271.
- DWSP's Request for Grant Applications (RFGA) for 2015 will be announced in Fall 2014. Stay tuned!