There are ways to reduce PCBs in fish. Following these guidelines will reduce your exposure to PCBs and other fat-soluble contaminants.
NOTE: These preparation and cooking methods will NOT get rid of mercury in fish.
Fish Cleaning Guidelines
- Throw away internal organs, skin, head and tail.
- Remove all skin.
- Cut away the dark fat on top of fish along its backbone.
- Slice off fat belly meat along the bottom of fish.
- Cut away the dark, V-shaped wedge of fat located along the lateral line on each side of the fish.
- Do not eat raw fish.
- Bake or broil skinned, trimmed fish on a rack or grill so fat drips off and discard drippings.
- Thoroughly clean and trim fish if making stew or soup.
Learn more about PCBs...