EHAP was asked by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) to evaluate the public health significance of exposure to contaminants found at the Harbor Oil Recycling Facility.
EHAP concluded that due to the limited access to the site, public exposure is limited.
- Recreational users of Force Lake may come into contact with contaminated lake bottom sediment, but the levels of contaminants that were measured were low enough that it's unlikely they will cause harm.
- EHAP has issued a health precaution about the fish caught from Force Lake.
- Because there are no fish tissue data, EHAP recommends no one eat fish caught from Force Lake, especially young children and pregnant or nursing women.
- EHAP recommends that recreational users avoid or limit access to Force Lake and the adjoining wetlands.
- The Harbor Oil Community Advisory Group (HOCAG) meets the second Thursday of each month at the Kenton Firehouse at 7 PM. All are welcome. For more information, contact Mark Stephan, at 503-240-4965.