As a new mom you deserve extra care and support – for you and your new baby.Taking a few minutes each day to look after your own needs and take a break from being a mother can reduce your stress levels and recharge your batteries. Remember, taking care of your child also means taking good care of yourself.
What you can do if you feel depressed or anxious:
- Tell someone you trust how you feel.
- Ask your health care provider for help and resources.
- Ask friends and family for help so you can take breaks.
- When people offer help, accept it.
- Get exercise and fresh air; go outside for at least a few minutes every day.
- Eat well; avoid caffeine, sugar, and alcohol.
- Make sleep a priority; if you aren’t sleeping, don’t wait until your next appointment to ask for help.
- Talk to women who have recovered.
Tools for self-care:
Websites offering support and resources for Perinatal Depression and Anxiety:
Click here for Additional Resources