We know many WIC and Head Start programs are already working together and we've heard many success stories! We also know there are opportunities to improve collaboration in our communities. Among the areas identified for improvement in the 2007 WIC/Head Start survey:
- Communication between local agencies.
- Continuity of care for high risk families.
- Weight, height, and hemoglobin data sharing.
- Shared nutrition education (classes) for parents.
- Consistent nutrition education messages.
- Shared staff training.
WIC-Head Start Data Sharing Agreement Materials
WIC/Head Start Best Practice Guide
The Oregon WIC Program and Oregon Head Start Programs are committed to promoting optimal nutrition outcomes for children and their families. In an effort to coordinate services provided to "shared families" - families who participate in both programs - we are developing a series of tips for working together. These tips will be incorporated into a best practice guide.
As Tips are completed, we will post them here.