The Oregon State Public Health Laboratory (OSPHL) does not accept specimens for Ebola virus testing. Specimens must be submitted directly to a laboratory determined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC will not accept specimens or assign a testing laboratory without prior consultation. The state health department usually does this consultation.
Submitters must work with OSPHL to complete required CDC forms prior to specimen submission.
Please follow these steps:
- Report suspect cases to the local health department immediately.
Call 971-673-1111 to reach the state health department doctor on call.
- Collect, prepare, and store specimen(s) according to the CDC’s interim guidance.
- Complete the following two forms:
Viral Special Pathogens Branch (VSPB) Diagnostic Submission Form
OSPHL CDC Specimen Submission Short Form
Do not send specimen(s) to the CDC until steps 4 and 5 are complete.
- Fax the OSPHL Short Form to the OSPHL Virology Department at 503-693-5605. Call the OSPHL at 503-693-4100 to notify us that this form was sent.
- The OSPHL will complete the official CDC Specimen Submission Form on your behalf, and fax or e-mail it to your facility. This form includes a barcode that the CDC requires.
- Submit your specimen(s) to the testing laboratory determined by the CDC with the official CDC Specimen Submission Form (with barcode) and the VSPB form. (Do not submit the OSPHL Short Form with the specimen.)
For additional resources regarding Ebola virus, including disease reporting requirements, investigative guidelines, and additional links to the CDC, visit the Public Health Division's Ebola Virus Disease page.