Too Many Ads: Parent Awareness Campaign
"Too Many Ads" is a campaign to increase parental awareness of junk food marketing to kids and provide parents with the information they need to help their children make good food choices.
Follow us on Facebook
Goals of Campaign
1. Increase parental awareness of junk food marketing to kids
2. Provide parents with the information they need to help their children make good food choices
>> Talking Points
Components of Campaign
- Emphasis in Portland metro area
- Junk Food Marketing to Kids awareness posters distributed throughout the metro area
- 200 interior TriMet bus ads
- Social media campaign via Facebook
- The average American child sees more than 40,000 advertisements each year. Half of those ads are for food, and 97% of food ads are items high in sugar, salt and fat.
- Children younger than 8 years are cognitively defenseless against advertising. They do not understand intent to sell and frequently accept claims at face value.
- Children younger than 6 have difficulty distinguishing advertisements from the actual programs.