Implementation date is no later than January 1, 2014.
For each vaccine encounter, prior to administering vaccine, pharmacy personnel will look up each patient in the ALERT Immunization Information System (IIS) to determine the patient's vaccine history and to forecast vaccines needed.
- This is not required when administering only influenza vaccines, but will continue to be recommended to help increase pneumococcal vaccine rates.
- This is not required when the pharmacy/pharmacist conducts a remote vaccine clinic, but will continue to be recommended when remote connectivity is available.
Regarding Zostavax® and Adults age 50 and older:
The ACIP met June 22–23, 2011, and made the following determinations:
- Not to recommend Zostavax® for persons <60 years of age.
- Merck continues to have difficulty producing sufficient supplies of Zostavax®.
- ACIP members have indicated that, while supply is limited, Zostavax® is appropriately reserved for patients ages 60 and older, as they are at higher risk.
- Zostavax® is covered by Medicare Part D for patients ≥65 years of age. Insurance companies may not cover the cost of Zostavax®, especially for indications (e.g., <60 years of age) that lie outside of ACIP recommendations.
- The ACIP may consider revising its age-based recommendation for Zostavax® when vaccine supply has improved.