The Oregon Public Health Division periodically offers volunteer internships in public health, education, policy, communications, and related areas.
Public Health Policy Intern
The Oregon Public Health Division (PHD) has one unpaid internship opportunity available with our Public Health Policy Team.
Public Health Division
800 NE Oregon Street
Portland OR, 97232
October 2015 to June 2016
Note: actual start and end date of internship, duration of internship, and work hours are flexible.
This internship will provide the selected student with an opportunity to test his/her interest in the field of public health policy. The intern will develop skills and techniques directly applicable to policy development and implementation. The student will also gain an in-depth knowledge of Public Health Division activities related to policy development and process improvement.
Assist with policy research including:
- Conduct an assessment of public health policies in Oregon;
- Analyze metrics related to and support implementation of the statewide health improvement plan;
- Analyze county, hospital and non-profit health improvement plans and supporting documentation;
- Support the PHD policy team in its efforts to develop health in all policies;
- Support the Oregon Health Authority Triple Aim of better health, better care and lowers costs; and
- Monitor Oregon laws and rules governing activities of the PHD.
- Current MPH graduate student preferred, will consider undergrads with interest in continuing public health studies;
- Knowledge of public health principles, research and analysis techniques, and internet based scholarly research.
How to apply
Submit the following to Tracy Candela, Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com:
- A letter of interest addressed to Michael Tynan, Policy Officer
- A current resume
All applications are due by Friday, September 11, 2015 at 5:00pm.
If you are interested in other potential volunteer or internship opportunities with the Public Health Division:
- E-mail Tracy Candela at: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your resume and letter of interest.
- Include the following information in your letter of interest:
- Goals you hope to achieve through potential volunteer/internship opportunities
- Area(s) of interest
- Relevant skillsets