A to Z
Data &
Forms &
News &
Licensing &
Rules &
Public Health
Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs About New Medical Marijuana Rules







Who can get a medical marijuana card?

Individuals with a qualifying medical condition and a recommendation for medical marijuana from an attending physician may apply for a medical marijuana card.

How do I apply for a card?

Visit our New Applicants page to learn how to apply for a medical marijuana card (forms are available in English and Spanish).

How long does it take to get a card?
  • If your application is complete: Your card will be mailed to you.
  • If your application is NOT complete: OMMP staff will send you an "Incomplete Letter" to let you know what needs to be submitted to complete your application. You will have 14 days from the date of the letter to get the missing application materials to OMMP. If the missing application materials are not submitted within the 14 days, your application may be rejected.

Please do not call to check your status prior to 30 days from the date we re​ceive your application. The processing of applications takes time, and the same staff who review your application also answer the phones. The more calls we receive, the slower we process applications.

How can I make sure my application is processed as quickly as possible?

Make sure you:

  • ​Complete all required portions of the application.
  • Submit a complete Attending Physician's statement.
  • Include copies of current U.S. state or federal issued photo ID for the patient, caregiver, and grower if applicable.
  • Submit the correct payment amount. If you are eligible for a reduced fee, submit the required proof.
  • Do not call to check your application status for 30 days from the date we receive your application.

Download our application checklist.

Does the OMMP expedite the processing of applications so patients may access dispensaries?

No.  All applications are treated equally and the OMMP processes them as quickly as possible.

​​Who may act as a grower?
  • A patient may grow for his or herself or designate an individual 21 years or older to act as his or her grower.
  • The OMMP conducts a criminal background check on all designated growers.
  • If a grower has been convicted of felony violating ORS 475.840 through 475.920 on or after January 1, 2006, that person is prohibited from growing marijuana for a patient for five years from the date of conviction for the first offense.
  • Individuals with more than one conviction are permanently prohibited from growing.

Do I have to list a grower and grow site address on my application?

Only if you are growing your own medical marijuana or are designating another person to grow medical marijuana for you.

  • Patients growing medical marijuana or designating a grower are required to provide the OMMP with the grow site address.
  • Only one grow site address may be registered per patient.
  • Grow sites must be a physical address located in Oregon.

Do I need to keep a copy of my application and any other information I send to the OMMP?

Yes. If your application has not yet been approved, denied, or rejected you may provide law enforcement with a copy of your written documentation submitted to the OMMP along with proof of the date of mailing or other transmission of the documentation.

  • This documentation affords you the same legal protection as a registry identification card, until such time as you receive your card or notification that your application has been approved or denied.
  • Written documentation of your application does not allow you access to dispensaries.

Back to top


How much does it cost to register as a cardholder?

The standard application fee is $200.

An applicant may qualify for a reduced fee of:

  • $60 withproof of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or
  • $50 withproof of Oregon Health Plan (OHP) eligibility, or
  • $20 withproof of receipt of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) monthly benefits, or
  • $20 with proof of having served in the Armed Forces of the United States.

Grower Registration Fee: If a designated grower is someone other than the patient, a grow site registration fee of $200 is required in addition to the application application fee.

Visit our OMMP Cardholder Fees page to learn more.

Back to top



Do I have to tell the OMMP if I change my mailing address, add or remove a caregiver, grower, or change my grow site address?

Yes. You are required to submit a Change Form with the updated information within 30 days.

  • Change forms should be submitted via mail. The OMMP does not accept changes of registry information over the telephone or by fax.
  • Changes to your caregiver and/or grower require that the former caregiver and/or grower cards be returned to the OMMP within 7 days.
  • Patients are required by law to notify the former caregiver and/or grower that they no longer have this designation.

Do I need to have any legal concerns when I make changes to caregiver, grower or grow site information?

Yes. It is important for your registry file to be up to date so if law enforcement requests verification of information from the OMMP your current caregiver, grower, and grow site are all protected.

  • To make sure individuals and the grow site are protected, and that previously protected individuals know their status has changed, submit a Change Form for caregiver, grower, and/or grow site changes immediately.
  • The OMMP recommends that you obtain a new grow site registration card before moving plants to a new grow site and keep copies of all Change Request Forms.

Back to top



How much marijuana can I possess if I am a medical marijuana patient?

An Oregon medical marijuana patient (and their caregiver, if applicable) may possess up to 6 mature plants, which must be grown at a registered grow site address, and up to 24 ounces of usable marijuana.

This is different from the possession limits for recreational marijuana.

Back to top



Do I need a physician to recommend the use of medical marijuana?

Yes. A physician must state in writing that the patient has a qualifying medical condition and that medical marijuana may lessen or relieve the symptoms or effects of that condition annually.

Can a naturopath (ND), chiropractor (DC), ​or nurse practitioner (NP/FNP) sign my “Attending Physician's Statement”?

No. Attending Physician is defined as a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) licensed under ORS chapter 677.

Does the physician have to be licensed in Oreg​on?

Yes. The law specifies that a physician must be licensed in Oregon.

Back to top



Can a patient withdraw from the program?

Yes. A patient must submit a written statement that he or she wishes to withdraw from the OMMP.

  • All cards must be returned to the OMMP within seven days of the withdrawal notification.
  • The patient’s card and all cards associated will be voided.
  • The patient is responsible for notifying his or her grower and caregiver, if applicable, that his or her card is no longer valid.
  • The patient may reapply as a new patient at any time.​

Do patients get a refund if they withdraw from the program?

No. The application and grow site fees are non-refundable.

​Back to top



Can the OMMP give me legal advice?

No. If you have questions concerning compliance with the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act you should consult a private attorney.

Back to top



How do I contact OMMP?

If you have a question that isn't answered here, you may call us by phone at 971-673-1234. We offer telephone support only. We cannot verify or send confidential information by email. We do not provide any on-site services.

Are there any days the OMMP office is closed?

Yes, we are closed on some holidays. View State Office holiday closure dates.

Back to top​​​​​​​​​​​​​



Does a grower have to be 21 years old?

Yes. As a result of House Bill 3400, current growers who are under 21 years of age on March 1, 2016 may no longer grow marijuana. Your patients will need a new grower. Read the cardholder notice for details.

How can I verify that I am a grower or caregiver for a particular patient?
  • The patient is responsible for getting the cards to the caregiver and grower. You can ask the patient to sign an approved Authorization for Use and Disclosure of Information form that will enable you to contact the OMMP and verify whether you are an authorized grower or caregiver for that patient.
  • The OMMP is prohibited from providing any information concerning a patient to a grower or caregiver without a valid authorization of release of information.

Back to top



Note: More detailed FAQs are available at the Medical Marijuana Dispensary website.

How can I find a medical marijuana dispensary in Oregon?

View the list of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries.

Can medical marijuana dispensaries sell marijuana to retail customers who do not have an OMMP card?

Yes. Through December 31, 2016, registered medical marijuana dispensaries may choose to participate in early retail sales of limited recreational marijuana products.

Back to top


How do I apply to be a medical marijuana processor?

You can apply online. Visit the How to Apply page for details.

What is the fee for applying and registering a medical marijuana processing site?

There is a registration fee of $3,500 and a non-refundable application fee of $500. In other words, a total of $4,000 must be paid at the time of application. Payment can only be made with a credit card, debit card or a pre-paid debit card.

In addition, there is a $35 background check fee, payable by check or money order, for each person listed on the application, including all owners and Person Responsible for a Processing site (PRP).

What medical marijuana products can I process?

A list of the different endorsements that processors may apply for can be found under OAR 333-008-1700. They are:

  • Cannabinoid edible processor;
  • Cannabinoid topical processor;
  • Cannabinoid concentrate processor;
  • Cannabinoid extract processor; and
  • Cannabinoid tincture, capsule, suppository, or transdermal patch processor.

Is there an additional fee for each endorsement?


Does the registration process differ based on the type of endorsement?

Yes. While there are a set of general requirements that all processors must meet, the rules are different for applicants making extracts, concentrates and other products.

Rules specific for edible processors are found under OAR 333-008-1790, for concentrate and extract processors under OAR 333-008-1800 and for topical processors under OAR 333-008-1810.

A set of general requirements may be found in OAR 333-008-2000 through 333-008-2200. 

What is the process for approval? How long should it take?

After your online application, fee payment, and all required application documents have been received, program staff will review your application to determine whether all program rules have been satisfied. Once you submit a complete application, it will be processed in the order it is received, based on the timestamp of the approved payment.

The timeline for approving your application will depend on several factors, including the volume of applications received and completeness of your application.

Are there any location restrictions for a medical marijuana processing site?

Yes. An extract processor may not be in an area zoned residential. It is recommended that a processor check with their local government to ensure there are no prohibited uses at the location they intend to process marijuana.

Is there a Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS) requirement for medical marijuana processors?

No. However, it is recommended that a processor check with their local government to ensure there are no prohibited uses at the location where they intend to process marijuana.

Do I need to have an OMMP card to apply to become a medical marijuana processor?

No. An OMMP patient, caregiver or grower card is not required to become a registered medical marijuana processor.

Who can perform transfers to a registered processing site?

An OMMP patient, caregiver or a PRMG (Person Responsible for a Medical Marijuana Grow Site) may transfer usable marijuana to a registered processing site if they are provided with an Authorization to Transfer form or a Personal Agreement signed by the patient.

Also, a registered medical marijuana processing site may transfer to another registered medical marijuana processing site.

Rules regarding transferring to a registered processing site are found under OAR 333-008-1760.

Who can a registered processing site transfer to?

A registered processing site may transfer to another registered medical marijuana processor or a registered medical marijuana dispensary.

Rules regarding transferring from a registered processing site are found under OAR 333-008-1760 to 333-008-1770.

I am an unregistered processing site. Can I accept transfers of useable marijuana to process?

Yes, but only if you are an OMMP patient, caregiver or grower. If so, then you are still able to accept transfers of useable marijuana, within your possession limits, to process concentrates and edibles until October 1, 2016.


You may not process extracts as an unregistered processing site unless an application has been submitted to OHA and the processing site is listed on the OMMP website.
Starting October 1, 2016, you must be a registered processor in order to accept transfers of useable marijuana. A registered processing site means that you have received a certificate from OHA with an endorsement for a specific type of processing activity.

I am an unregistered processor. Can I transfer my cannabinoid edible or concentrate product to a dispensary?

Yes, but only if you are an OMMP patient, caregiver or grower. If so, then you are still able to process and transfer marijuana, within your possession limits, to a medical marijuana dispensary. An Authorization to Transfer form or a Personal Agreement with the patient will need to be completed in order to transfer to a dispensary.

Starting October 1, 2016, you must be a registered processor in order to sell products to a dispensary.

Can I still process extracts as an unregistered processor or as an OMMP patient, caregiver or grower?

No. Under HB 4014, passed in the 2016 Legislative session, the unlicensed processing of extracts is illegal.

However, a medical marijuana processing site that has submitted a complete application for registration with OHA is exempt from criminal liability pursuant to ORS 475B.475. OHA will make available, on the OMMP Medical Marijuana Processors website, a list of processing sites that have submitted a complete application.

What are the requirements for getting registered as an extraction processor?

Other than needing to meet the general requirements (OAR 333-008-2000 to 333-008-2200), extraction processors do have a set of specific requirements that must be met.

  • Extractions must be processed in a fully enclosed room that is spark proof and equipped with evacuation fans and lower explosive limit detectors.
  • Extraction processors must use commercially manufactured professional grade closed loop extraction systems designed to recover the solvents and built to recognized and generally accepted good engineering standards.
  • The equipment and facility must be approved for use by the local fire code official, meet any fire, safety and building code requirements, have an emergency eye wash station in any room in which extraction is being processed and have all applicable material safety data sheets available.
  • Rules specific to extract processors may be found in OAR 333-008-1800.

Is a commercial kitchen license from Department of Agriculture (ODA) required for processing edibles?

Yes. For information on how to apply for a commercial kitchen license please visit ODA’s website.

Is a commercial kitchen license from ODA required if I’m making concentrates or extracts that will be used in edibles?

Yes. Any ingredient used in food production must come from an ODA licensed facility.

As a medical marijuana processor, do I need to have my labels approved by OLCC as part of their labeling pre-approval process?

Yes. For more information visit the OLCC’s website.

What labeling requirements can I follow before my labels are approved?

Labeling rules found in OAR 333-008-1220 may be used until your labels are approved, but starting October 1, 2016, all labels must be pre-approved and follow requirements found under 333-007-0010 to 333-007-0100.

What packaging requirements do I need to follow?

Packaging rules found in OAR 333-008-1225 may be used, but starting October 1, 2016, all packaging must be compliant with OLCC packaging rules found in OAR 845-025-7000 to 845-025-7060.

When do I have to comply with concentration limits?

Starting October 1, 2016, all products must meet requirements found under OAR 333-007-0200 to 333-007-0220.

What testing requirements am I required to follow?

Testing rules found under OAR 333-008-1190 and 333-008-1740(9) may be followed until September 30, 2016.

Starting October 1, 2016, all marijuana items must be tested according to OAR 333-007-0300 to 333-007-0490.

A dispensary may transfer a marijuana item to a patient or caregiver that was transferred to the dispensary before October 1, 2016, and that was not tested in accordance with the rules found in Division 7. Starting October 1, 2016, all marijuana items that had not been tested in accordance with Division 7 rules must have the following label placed on the package where it can easily be seen by the patient or caregiver, in 12 point font, and in bold, capital letters that reads "DOES NOT MEET NEW TESTING REQUIREMENTS."

Are processors subject to any inventory reporting requirements?

Yes. Any registered processor must report the amount and type of products transferred into the processing site and out of the processing site. The first reporting requirement is due June 10, 2016. Rules regarding reporting requirements are found under OAR 333-008-1830.

Back to top​​