A to Z
Data &
Forms &
News &
Licensing &
Rules &
Public Health
Columbia Gorge

To dispose of an ionizing radiation producing machine, you must totally disassemble the unit. In most cases, it is best to contact a commercial X-ray vendor for this task. These companies sell, repair, purchase and dispose of X-ray equipment. The Department maintains a list of registered service providers/assemblers in Oregon.

To dismantle an X-ray unit, the tube-head should be removed from the unit or the control panel should be removed. Please, do not smash the X-ray tube-head. The x-ray tube-head is under vacuum and you may be injured by glass fragments if you break the X-ray tube-head.

You must notify the Department of any change in inventory recorded on your facility registration form. Please contact Judy Smith (phone: 971-673-0507, email:  

Most X-ray units may be disposed of in a local/municipal landfill. You should contact your local trash handler to ensure they will accept the unit. You may wish to sell the metal components for scrap.

X-ray systems manufactured before 1979 may contain oil made with polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB). The oil was used in some transformers and capacitors to aid in insulation. Due to the hazardous nature of the oil containing PCB, disposal becomes a regulated activity if the amount of PCB exceeds a specific level. Please contact the Department if you have questions regarding this matter. If you have further questions concerning the testing or disposal of PCBs, go to the EPA’s PCB Web page