On this page:
Labs that can perform algae testing
- Oregon Public Health Laboratory, 3150 NW 229th Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124. Phone 503-693-4100. Contact: Rob Vega, email@example.com. (Microcystin toxin testing only, $100). Free shipping by dropping off sample to any county health department office in Oregon.
- Aquatic Services, 42184 Tweedle Lane, Seaside, OR 97138. Phone 503-755-0711. Contact: Wayne W. Carmichael, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org. (Consulting and lab services, algal identification/enumeration.)
- Environmental Analysis Laboratory, Lake Superior State University, 650 W Easterday Ave, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone 906-635-2076. Contact: Ben Southwell, email@example.com. (Consulting and lab services, algal identification/enumeration.)
- UC Davis CAHFS Toxicology Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California West Health Sciences Drive, Davis, CA 95616. Phone 530-752-6322. Contact: Birgit Puschner, firstname.lastname@example.org. (Toxin testing.)
- Greenwater Labs/Cyano Lab, 205 Zeagler Dr, Suite 302, Palatka, FL 32177. Phone 386-328-0882, fax 386-328-9646. Contact: Mark Aubel, email@example.com. (Toxin testing, as well as identification and enumeration.)
- Aquatic Analysts, 126 Ocean View Dr, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Phone 503-869-5032. Contact: Jim Sweet, firstname.lastname@example.org. (Identification and enumeration only, cheapest.)
- PhycoTech, 620 Broad St, Ste 100, St. Joseph, MI 49085. Phone 269-983-3654, e-mail email@example.com. Website: www.phycotech.com. (Identification and enumeration.)
- King County Environmental Laboratory, 322 W Ewing St, Seattle, WA 98119. Phone 206-684-2300; direct 206-684-2358. Contact: Fran Sweeney. (Identification/enumeration and toxin testing for microcystin.)
- Water Management Laboratories, 1515 80th St E, Tacoma, WA 98404. Phone 253-531-3121. Contact: Diane DuMond. (Identification/enumeration and toxin testing.)
- MWH Laboratories, 750 Royal Oaks Dr, Ste 100, Monrovia, CA 91016. Phone 1-800-566-5227. Contact: Dr. Andrew Eaton. (Identification/enumeration and toxin testing.)
Local expert contacts
- Wayne W. Carmichael, PhD, 42184 Tweedle Lane, Seaside, OR 97138. Cell phone 937-620-4603; home phone 503-755-0711, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Advising on management and mitigation of cyanobacteria harmful algae blooms.
- Al Johnson, U.S. Forest Service, Middle-Fork Ranger District, 46375 Hwy 58, Westfir, OR 97492. Phone 541-225-6431, e-mail email@example.com.
- Dave Farrer, State of Oregon Toxicologist. Direct phone 971-673-0971, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Center for Health Protection phone 971-673-0400 or call Drinking Water Services 971-673-0405.
- Jacob Kann, PhD, Aquatic Ecosystem Sciences, LLC, 295 E Main St, Ste 7, Ashland, OR 97520. Phone 541-482-1575, fax 541-552-1024, e-mail email@example.com. (Research only, sends samples to other labs.)
- Richard Castenholz, Department of Biology, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403. Phone 541-346-4530, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dave Stone, Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331. Phone 541-737-4433, e-mail email@example.com.
- Joseph Eilers, Professional Hydrologist (Water Quality), Certified Lake Manager, MaxDepth Aquatics, Inc., PO Box 6838, Bend, OR 97708. Phone 541-390-2911. Website: www.maxdepthaq.com.