Approximately 23% of Oregonians rely on domestic wells, or private wells, as their primary source of potable water.
This makes groundwater protection and well stewardship of high public health importance. To protect both the lifelong health of Oregonians and the state’s groundwater resources, the Oregon Domestic Well Safety Program (DWSP) focuses on improving local and state capacity to assess and manage risks associated with private wells. DWSP partners with local health departments and water information providers to further promote domestic well safety.
- *FUNDING OPPORTUNITY* - DWSP's 2016 _Request for Proposals (RFP) is OPEN! DWSP intends to provide two awards of $5k each, to Oregon tribal and or local public health authorities to support capacity building of outreach efforts related to domestic wells and water security. Applications are due December 11th, 2015. An Informational Webinar, is available.Apply today!
- *FUNDING OPPORTUNITY* - The Water Resources Department has announced a funding opportunity to conduct place-based integrated water resources planning. Learn more about the opportunity here. Letters are due December 7th, 2015.
- The Oregon Water Resources Department (OWRD) and the Oregon Health Authority (OHA)'s DWSP have partnered to release a revised 2015 Well Owner's Handbook. The new handbook now includes health information on common contaminants, testing recommendations, additional setback requirements for new construction, updated graphics, hyperlinks and more. Every well owner should have this resource in their files. Do you??
- LANE COUNTY: Marist High School (Monitoring Program) and Thurston High School (WELL Project) students in LANE County are proud to provide, as a community service, free testing to anyone who drops off samples! Marist offers nitrate testing only. Please note these tests are for screening purposes. If necessary, further testing should be performed by a certified lab. For other testing resources, visit our Other Resources section.
- If you are interested in receiving and sharing updates about private wells in Oregon and the DWSP, join our mailing list!