A to Z
Data &
Forms &
News &
Licensing &
Rules &
Public Health
Renovating, Repair and Painting Rule FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions

A new federal law called the Renovation, Repair and Painting rule requires that child care and school professionals follow specific procedures when renovating or repairing facilities. Read the commonly asked questions from child care facilities and schools below, or review the complete details about the rule

Does the RRP rule apply to me? Yes, if:

  • Your child care facility or school was built before 1978 and has children under six years of age attend,


  • You are starting a renovation, repair and painting project that is not a "minor maintenance or repair" or an abatement project. "Minor maintenance or repair means disrupting 6 square feet or less of paint per room or 20 square feet or less of exterior paint. Abatement projects are specifically aimed at eliminating lead-based paint or lead hazards. 

The RRP rule applies to my child care facility or school. What do I need to do?

  • Read and understand the rule as it applies to you. Review complete details of the rule or read EPA's Lead-Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right.  
  • Assume your pre-1978 child-care facility or school contains lead or hire a professional to conduct an assessment.
  • Do one of two things :
    1. Hire a licensed contractor who has been certified in lead-safe work practices to prevent lead contamination.


    2. Become a certified firm and have your employees (the ones that will be doing the work) trained from an accredited lead-safe training provider.

What do I need to do to become a certified firm?

To become a certified firm or renovator, an individual must successfully complete EPA/OHA accredited training, apply to Oregon Health Authority for certification, and pay certification fee. Certification fee is different from the course fee. 

Step 1 - Training

The initial RRP Rule training is an 8-hour, hands-on course that individuals can take to learn how to comply with the RRP Rule. Upon completion of the course, the individual receives a course completion certificate. OHA has a list of EPA/OHA accredited training providers and maintains a list of scheduled training courses in Oregon.

The RRP course completion certificate is valid for five years. To maintain certification, course participants must take an EPA/OHA approved 4-hour refresher course taught by an accredited training provider, before their certification expires.

Individuals who already have completed an eligible training courses, may choose to take the EPA four-hour renovation refresher course instead of the initial renovator training course to become RRP certified.

Step 2 - Certification

Firms (i.e. maintenance workers in multi-family housing, schools, child care facilities, property management companies and property owners) who have received a course completion certificate must apply to OHA to become an RRP "Certified Renovation Firm". The steps to apply include:

Non-CCB licensed renovators who have received a course completion certificate DO NOT have to apply to OHA for certification. These individuals are considered "certified renovators" who can work for an OHA-Certified firm.

    What are my responsibilities as a certified firm?

    All covered renovations must be performed by certified renovation firms, using certified renovators and other trained workers.  

  • Keep certification current.

  • Employ at leas one certified renovator oversee renovation, repair or painting work.

  • Provide a copy of EPA's lead hazard information pamphlet Lead-Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right to families whose children attend the facility being renovated and document compliance with this requirement using Receipt of Renovation Notice Form (pdf).

  • Meet recordkeeping requirements using OHA's Recordkeeping Checklist (pdf).

  • Keep children out of work area.

  • Follow specific work practices to avoid creating and spreading lead dust.

  • Follow specific cleaning protocols after work is done.

What are my responsibilities as a certified renovator?

    Certified renovation activities must be performed and/or directed by a certified renovator.  

  • Perform work or direct lead-safe work practices to prevent lead contamination.
  • Keep a copy of the initial or refresher training certificate on each worksite.
  • Provide uncertified workers with on-the-job training.
  • Use EPA-recognized test kits to identify lead-based paint.
  • Be physically present at the worksite while posting signs, containing work areas and cleaning work areas.
  • Be available by telephone when off-site.
  • Maintain the containment to keep dust and debris within the work area.
  • Conduct the cleaning verification procedure.
  • Prepare and maintain required records.

How much does it cost to become a certified firm?

Certification cost is $250

When does the certification expire?

The course completion certificate and OHA certification expire within five years.


Printable Pamphlets, Documents and Forms

EPA's "The Lead-Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right" (English and en español) - this pamphlet was updated due to amendments to the RRP regulation effective October 4, 2011. Renovators must now begin providing the revised version. You may use the older version if you have printed stock remaining. Please be sure to include replacement page 10 which can be found on EPA's website.

EPA's "Steps to Lead-Safe Renovation, Repair and Painting (English)

EPA's "Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right" (pdf) - a handbook for contractors, property managers and maintenance personnel working in homes and child-occupied facilities built before 1978.

EPA/OHA Pre-Renovation Fact Sheet (pdf)

OHA Receipt of Renovation Notice Form (pdf)

OHA Test Kit Documation Form (pdf)

Renovation Recordkeeping Checklist (pdf)

Additional EPA Publications and Brochures

Additional OHA RRP Documents, Forms, and Brochures


Contact Oregon Health Authority

Lead-Based Paint Program:
800 NE Oregon St., Ste. 608
Portland, OR 97232-2162
Phone: (971) 673-0440
Fax: (971) 671-0457